Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Memorial Collection: I'll Remember April


This is our third of four later Art Pepper recordings on rather obscure labels. This album was released on the Japanese Trio-Kenwood label. Art Pepper is performing live at Foothill College in Los Altos, California on February 14, 1975. The lineup of musicians are a tad odd because of the inclusion of Tommy Gumina on "polychord" (which, I gather, is an electronic accordion/organ invented by Gumina) along with Pepper on alto sax, Fred Atwood on bass and Jimmie Smith on drums. This record is volume 3 of what seems to be a four disc series. The musical selections include one tune composed by Pepper (Foothill Blues), and standards by Gene De Paul (I'll Remember April), Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Burke (Here's That Rainy Day) and Ray Noble (Cherokee). It playes out like this:

1. Foothill Blues  -  10:38
2. I'll Remember April  -  10:21
3. Here's That Rainy Day  -  4:26
4. Cherokee  -  15:35

Enjoy!
Pardon for the poor reproduction of the cover - it's all I could find and I do not have the facilities to scan the album cover...

No comments:

Post a Comment