Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Holding Together...



For me, for the longest time, Oliver Lake was the guy who played the "little" horn in the World Saxophone Quartet but that was joining Mr. Lake's musical journey in mid-trip. As I've discussed before, so often when steeping one's self in a music with such a rich tradition, one finds the exploration travels in two directions: into the future and into the past.


What we have here is one of the less celebrated recordings from the Black Saint/Soulnote treasure trove. I am constantly amazed with the incredible Black Saint/Soulnote recordings I have found in used record stores that I'd never even heard of before! This album is a case in point. Also take note of the fact that Mr. Lake plays also plays the soprano sax on this album.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment