Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How Time Passes...



Truth be told, I've never been a big fan of Don Ellis. No particular reason other than his music just never grabbed me. So why, then, did I get this disc? Because Jaki Byard is on it. I've been a huge fan of his ever since I first heard him playing in Mingus' band. I raved about him in a previous post and I'll rave about him again: listening to Byard is like taking a crash course on the history of jazz. Along with Ellis on trumpet and Byard on piano and alto sax (the instrument he played as a member of Earl Bostic's and Herb Pomeroy's bands) is bassist Ron Carter and drummer Charli Persip. It was recorded October 4 & 5, 1960 and released on the Candid label (another reason I bought this disc: I've never heard a bad recording from this small but influential record label).

And, oh yeah, is it just me or does the cover of this album seem remotely suggestive? Maybe it's just me...


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment